Although oil pulling is not a household name yet, people are starting to get familiarized with its multiple benefits. What exactly is oil pulling? Used primarily in Auyrvedic medicine, it is a technique that provides the best oral detoxification and it is done by swishing a tablespoon or two of coconut, olive or sesame oil in your mouth for 10-20 minutes. It is simple and cheap DIY home remedy that cures and prevents a lot of diseases, helps the body to get rid of toxins and at the same time, it saves you a lot of money.
How oil pulling cures
We tend to neglect the fact that the body has a power to cure itself if given support and time. Oil pulling does exactly that-it stimulates and supports this healing system of the body. Studies show that if there is a bacteria or a virus in the dental plague, the toxins they release easily find their way in the blood system and are the cause of multiple diseases in the entire body. When we practice oil pulling, our nervous endocrine and immune systems are stimulated to produce anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, anabolic and pain-killer chemicals that heal gum diseases. The list just starts here and goes on.
Diseases that oil pulling cures
According to a survey that was conducted, out of 1041 people, 81% of them confirmed cure of one or more diseases after practicing oil pulling, and only 11% of them didn’t find it curable.
The diseases the 81% of the people cured were the following:
- Common Diseases like allergies, cold, headache etc. (758)
- Allergy and respiratory problems of lungs like asthma, bronchitis etc. (191)
- Skin problems like pigmentation, itching, rashes, scars, eczema, etc. (171)
- Digestive system (155)
- Constipation (110)
- Arthritis and joint pains (91)
- Heart disease and Blood Pressure (74)
- Diabetes (56)
- Piles (27)
- Diseases pertaining to female reproductive system reported by women (21)
How to do oil pulling
- The best time for oil pulling is the first thing in the morning, right before you brush your teeth and eat breakfast.
- Take 1 or 2 tablespoons of coconut, olive or sesame oil (which one you prefer) and gently swish in your mouth and between your teeth for 10-20 minutes. Make sure you don’t swallow.
- Spill oil in the trash or toilet and immediately rinse your mouth with warm water. Add a little salt to the water for more antimicrobial properties.
- Brush your teeth as normal.
Although it is best to do it in the morning, there is no harm to do oil pulling later in the day, just make sure you do it before meals. If you do it afterwards, leave a gap of at least 4 hours. In no time, you will feel healthier and more productive than ever.